Friday, July 23, 2010

"Tribute to Janet Mitchell"


This is my tribute to a great Alberta Artist, Janet Mitchell who lived from 1912 - 1998. Her work was both beautifully light hearted and filled with childlike whimsy. She is a great inspiration to me. 
I was also lucky enough to purchase a painting by her which i have posted here for you to see. 
It is called "Head of Classics".  I had such fun doing a Janet Mitchell style painting and hope to do a few more in a series which of course will be called "A Tribute To Janet Mitchell". 
This one i did is 4" X 22" on 300lb. Arches CP paper.
Isn't this just a delightful painting? It is quite large and fits nicely over our fireplace. 
She did it on a full sheet of watercolor paper and the framing and matting make it a nice size. 
I enjoy looking at it each day. It is also one of very few original paintings that i own but hope 
to continue collecting as the opportunities present themselves. 

2 comments:

  1. Ross,
    I love the whimsical character of both your painting and Janet Mitchell's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ross, this is absolutely gorgeous, the best part I like is the way you wisely left white for the main subjects, that is making it very unique. Thanks for introducing me to Janet Mitchell, what a style!

    ReplyDelete