Thursday, December 29, 2011

"My Town"


The beginning's of a whimsical take on my town, Calgary. Some of the recognizable places are evident like the "Saddledome", "Bow Tower", and "Calgary Tower". The houses in the middle ground represent inner city communities of Sunnyside and Hillhurst. These i plan on doing brightly colored and fun. The city buildings will mostly be grays, blues, purples outlined in white and a sky filled with dancing images and stars. Not too sure what to do with the foreground yet and have to be careful. A painting like this can become too busy in short order. The rows of houses will be the focal point of it all. These are fun to do and i have hopes of doing a series based on local, familiar areas. We shall see. I get sidetracked so easily. Sigh! Hope all are having a great day with new paintings all around. God bless, and Happy New Year.


5 comments:

  1. All my best to you and yours for the Holiday Season and throughout 2012, Ross!

    I really like the idea of a series of local scenes - people like to buy paintings of scenes that they recognize. This is a great start!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Christiane. It is always nice to see you here and i appreciate greatly your comments. Happy New Year to you as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ross, thanks for showing us how it all starts. I'm amazed as always at not only your ability to do this, but the very idea of it... It's going to be a good one and yes, local art is usually popular.. Good way to start the New Year.!!! Barbra Joan (Bj)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The busier the better, you'd be surprised at how many busy painters there are whilst the experts are telling everybody who will listen to simplify, reduce...I say busy in a good way is a good thing, sophisticated primitivism.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a question. I see that you start with a very detailed drawing in pencil. Do you erase those lines as you go? Or do they simply become part of the art?
    I am really happy to see your WIP. It really helps me understand how this process works. I hope to see more stages of this painting posted here! I love how it is turning out!

    ReplyDelete