I decided this painting needed new life. It spent the first part of it's short life in a show in Feb. and then on my studio walls but there seemed to be something lacking. So i took it out of the frame, put it in the shower and washed a lot of the surface paint off. What is left is a very nice faded image of the village that i can use as a base painting. Quite a few of my older paintings have gone through this and the results can be fun. They don't always turn out but it is a wonderful exercise and i find i learn a lot in the process.
Here is the new version which i feel is a big improvement. Shadows really add impact and back lighting is something i've not usually attempted. I have a few more here that will get a shower and a facelift. I do this if i am pleased with the basic composition but want to add something more.
First, i added a building to the right foreground and another behind it. Beefed up the chimneys, and started to lay in some dark shadows using purple. I also added some wee characters to the sky and some more trees and bushes. Finally a whole lot of color went on everywhere.
Stronger shadows will play a new role from here on in and i hope to play with lost and found edges more. Lost edges are a weakness for sure so hope to get better with those.